Friday, July 2, 2010

"Ill blows the wind that profits nobody."

The afternoon sun blazed down upon the Wyoming fields of corn. I watched from the serenity and comfort of my parents' living room as the gentle gusts grew to forceful gusts. The first sign of the oncoming storm was the dust blowing from the parched earth. Within moments tips of the corn stalks danced as the wind increased in its strength. The trees began to wave violently, as if begging me to let them inside so that they would not have to endure this storm.

I sat in amazement, thinking back to when we had a similar windstorm in Nebraska and several trees were uprooted or lost large branches. Upon investigation I saw only one lone small twig blowing across the street. Expressing my astonishment to some friends, one replied that maybe trees are like people: they grow stronger in times of turbulence.

I do not know if she realizes how much her comment impacted me during this time of my own turbulence. I have waved my arms and cried to God, begging Him to take this storm away from me, that I don't want to have to endure it. "Oh how much more wonderful things would be, " I think to myself, "if only I could live in the protective shield of a valley, where the winds don't blow and I am free to grow in peace." But what would happen when that wind does blow? Would I then be uprooted, or lose a major branch, or even completely split?

I shall grow stronger in this time of turbulence. I will send my roots down deeper and hold on tight to God's word. And maybe someday I will be there for another tree to lean against during its time of turbulence. Then, perhaps we may both grow stronger as we reach for the Heavens and spread our branches in praise to our maker and our God.

"Ill blows the wind that profits nobody".
~Shakespeare
"Each man will be like a shelter from the wind, and a refuge from the storm".
~Isaiah 32:2

No comments:

Post a Comment