Saturday, March 19, 2011

Square pegs in round holes

We've all heard this analogy before: "you can't fit a square peg into a round hole". Going through teacher education I heard it all the time. Every kid is different, you can't force a child with their own unique characteristics to fit into a program that doesn't meet their needs and strengths. It's the idea of "diffirentiated" curriculum. The ideal that a teacher can create a classroom that fits all shapes of children is taught to us as "best practices". It all sounded great in college, but then I got into my own classroom. I know that a teacher can force a square (or star) shaped child into her round peg classroom...but not with some bruising or cutting off of the corners. Maybe those corners can be reattached on the other side, but the scars and evidence that some damage has been done never go away. How do I avoid this in MY classroom? How do I celebrate the strengths and meet the needs of EVERY child in my room. There isn't enough time or room to have a curriculum that is square shaped, star shaped, circle shaped, AND dodecahedron shaped. Further, there are boundaries, expectations, and lessons that every child really needs to be aware of. So, how do I provide these experiences, and boundaries without damaging the spirit and uniqueness of every child in my care? I hope I've found a way to do that. My classroom can be a circle hole. I can make clear the expectations of my classroom, provide guidelines and the curriculum that every child needs, but I do it by making my circle large enough that every shape can fit into it. The overall "look" of my program can stay circle shaped. However, it's large enough to be flexible, caring, and accepting of every child. This is my goal, I pray that God gives me the strength and guidance to meet it.

1 comment:

  1. You are so gifted. Did you have to look up dodecahedron to see if it was shape? I didn't know it was a shape, and I would've never thought to make my "round" hole classroom big enough to fit all those different shapes. You amaze me. Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete